Monday, September 19, 2011

Fright Night

(Let’s step into the Back to the Future DeLorean) Set time circuits to 1985: I was two and wasn’t watching any movies, let alone horror movies. When I was 27(time circuits to 2010) I watched the 1985 movie “Fright Night”, because I heard it was kind of a “cult classic”. Now, it is in no way a good movie, but I enjoyed it for what it was: an 80’s campy, vampire movie. The character of Charlie is kind of a whiner, but it could be that I just don’t like the actor William Ragsdale; his voice just hurts me, as in real pain. It has its moments of awesomely bad gore though, that I really enjoyed. Back when they couldn’t CGI the crap out of everything, it was called “practical effects,” people, bring them back!
Set time circuits to 2011: wasn’t that a fun trip? They decide to remake this awesomely horrible horror comedy. Why not, its got vampires in it, and vampires are hot right now. Side note: getting kind of sick of vampires. So I saw the trailer for this flick, and it didn’t look half bad. Colin Farrell plays Jerry, the vampire (true to the original) and that awesome guy from Star Trek plays Charlie (Anton Yelchin) no more bleeding ears! David Tennant plays Peter Vincent, a mockery of the goth vampire hunter/Vegas performer partly true to the original). Hey, and they have MCLOVIN!
So how was the movie you ask? I consider that it was a great script, with believable characters. It was tons of fun, and it satisfied my gore craving. Some of the parts that they changed I enjoyed very much: the poking fun at the Vampire culture myths was fun and interesting, and they even taught us something new, not just rehashing what everyone knows about vampires. “Silver is for Werewolves” was one of my favorite lines. At its heart, however, it was still a campy vampire movie. The plot is almost exactly the same as the 1985 version, except for some little differences, so the writers didn’t put in a lot of effort, so they can focus or the good dialogue I guess. Even though I enjoyed my movie-going experience, I won’t be writing home about it. Just writing a review I guess. See it.

The Rating System:
Production ( Directing, Editing, Music): 3-5 soundtrack was good but no theme to speak of
Story ( Plot ): 2-5 it would get more if it wasn’t the same plot, because I liked it
Characters ( Likability, Acting ): 4-5 great fun here, the characters make the movie
Writing ( Dialogue, Cleverness ): 4-5 great tension is some scenes
Emotions ( Was it; Fun, Scary, Sad, Do I care? ): 4-5 Laughing one minute, grossed-out the next
Overall Score: 17-25

1 comment:

  1. Colin Farrell is enough for me, but nice review. You didn't sound like a snotty ass.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts