Thursday, June 21, 2012

Prometheus Review

What the hell happened to Ridley Scott? If you don’t know what Ridley Scott is, He is the director of such films as Blade Runner, Gladiator, Aliens, and Prometheus. He has been one of my favorite director since I was a child, when had no idea what a director was. I even liked Legend, which most people I have talked think it’s terrible, but when you watch something as a child that, “first watching experience” is locked in forever. You will never shake the wonderment and excitement you felt.
    I have found over the years that Ridley Scott likes to Director’s cuts of films. My First thought is, why? Most of the director’s cuts I have seen are better than the theatrical release. A great example of this is Blade Runner, much more depth of character and not-so-in-your face-film-noir stuff. No one saw the film Kingdom of Heaven, this 2005 film’s theatrical release was pretty bad, when I sat down to watch the 3 hours plus director’s cut, I loved it.
So this got me thinking, why does he always release different cuts of the same film? Time problems? All the most epic movies are crazy long, who cares. Lord of the Rings, Avatar, Gone with the Wind. Is the studio pressuring him to make is shorter? or change things, you are Ridley Fucking Scott, do whatever you damn well please! In Legend they changed the music for the theatrical release, is this all money based? The money says jump you say, “ how high”? You make a bad movie in the theatrical release, why should anyone see another cut of this film, if its so bad they don’t want to sit through it again?
Which leads me to Prometheus, I for one was very excited about this film. Ridley Scott making a science fiction film, set in the same universe as Alien, awesome! Unfortunately, it was not awesome, but one huge let down. The movie asks too many questions, and never answers any of them. All of it seems to lead to a sequel to answer questions, but wait, isn’t this a prequel to Aliens, aren’t you supposed to answering questions? This film had no reason to be connected to the Alien films, the ship’s were the same and some of the monsters and H.R. Geiger bullshit was just lazy film making in my mind. The Alien connection was just one big selling point to a crappy film.
When I left the theater I was like, WHO? WHAT? WHEN? HOW? nothing was explained. That is fine if you are making an art film that is supposed to get emotions stirring and provoking thought, like 2001, or The Fountain. This film just left me wanting more and not in a good way. You can leave some things unanswered, but when you don’t give the audience anything to go on why should they care to watch another film. This is not a good stand-alone movie, it feels like the first episode of a show, just getting you thinking about more show. Funny because one of the writers of this film is Damon Lindelof, creator of Lost the television show, Connection, I think so.
What these guys forget is that this isn’t a show, it’s a movie. You don’t have until next week to give me some answers, you have two hours and thirty minutes to have a beginning, middle and end. You are not coming out with a Prometheus 2 in six months, which if you saw the film would makes no sense! I hope I am getting my frustration with this film across to you. So much so I do not think I will spend the time watching a Director’s cut of this film. You lost me Mr. Scott. Someone with movie-chops, will have to come to me and say “ Dude, its so much better! you need to watch it!” Then I might consider it.
This film never got me to excited, the tension was flat and predictable. No sign of the subtle brilliance that is Alien. The characters were uninteresting and borderline pointless. There were whole scenes that had no place in the film and never had a follow through. The scene in the beginning when they talk about the surgery machine, they just happened to bring on board, “HEY, LOOK AT THIS AUDIENCE”, it made me sick.
So Ridley Scott, do you make different cuts because you really can’t decide what movie to make? Are you so unsure of yourself that you can’t make just one cut? Are studios really making you make crapper movies for the masses, or can you just not make up your mind and take a chance? Stop making directors cuts, make one good film, I don’t care how long it is, I am not an everyday moviegoer.
The Rating System
Production ( Directing, Editing, Music)3-5
Story ( Plot)3-5
Characters ( Likability, Acting)2-5
Writing ( Dialogue, Cleverness)3-5
Emotions ( Was it; Fun, Scary, Sad, Do I care)1-5
Overall score 12-25

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts