Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Charriots of Fire


Sometime around 1990 , I watched “National Lampoons Vacation.” If you are not familiar with the movie, Chevy Chase and family go across the country to get to “Walley World,” the movie shows the perils of a drive across country and the hell that is family vacation of When they finally arrive at their destination and park at Walley World, they stop far away from the amusement park. when asked why his parking so far away, Chevy Chase’s character explains: “When everyone is trying to leave, we will be the first ones out.” They proceed to run to the entrance, in slow motion, to the amazing music of Vangelis’ “Chariots of Fire.” At the time my father laughed, I didn’t understand what I was missing.
Years later, I find out that the they are making fun of another movie that came out just two years earlier: “Chariots of Fire.” I am a self proclaimed movie theme master. Years of watching movies has expanded my knowledge of film score composers and my physical collection of soundtracks. One that stands out among my favorites is Vangelis. I own Vangelis’ Greatest Hits, and “Chariots of Fire”, is one of their best. Until yesterday, I had never seen this movie.
Sorry for the long intro, but I wanted you to understand what this movie meant for me.“Chariots of Fire” won Best Picture at the Academy Awards in 1981, and on a lark I looked up what movies it beat , “Raiders of the Lost Ark” lost to it . This made me laugh from what I said in my last post. The movie’s first few minutes is the famed running-on-the-beach-to-the-amazing-music-in-slow-motion, scene. I finally get the joke. “Chariots of Fire” is a fine film and its set to a great score. But years later I’m sure there is a lot of people who have seen “Raiders of the Lost Ark”, and yet not even heard of this movie. It drags in spots and has a predictable story, being based on a true story, its not very exciting.
I am glad to has seen this movie, only to say I’ve seen it, and to expand my movie knowledge. I am afraid it will be lost in the depths of movie achievements. I don’t think I’d care to watch it twice, to much slow motion running. I think this movie will only be watched in film schools, as it is very well made, by lacks a flair that other movies have. Watch it.

the rating system
Production ( directing, editing, Music)5-5
Story ( plot)4-5
Characters ( likability, acting)3-5
Writing ( dialogue, cleverness)4-5
Emotions ( was it; Fun, Scary, Sad, do I care)4-5
Over all score 20-25

3 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYJzcUvS_NU
    If you want to hear the Chariots of Fire theme while you read, here it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow man, you couldn't be more wrong about Chariots of Fire. An incredible period piece about some amazing humans and their struggle with what drives them in life. Running is the last thing that COF is about, which is why the Wallyworld parking lot scene is so awesome and perfect.

    Oh, and very good idea for a blog site. Look forward to you finding your voice and adding my comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, I wrote this review almost instantly after I watched it. I should have let it Brew a little more before sharing. I feel now, that it is a great film but I doubt most people would appreciate it. More than likely it will be forgotten in years to come.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts