Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 5 " The social Network"

When I saw Jesse Eisenberg staring back at me from a movie poster, and the tag read “You don’t get to 500 million friends without making a few enemies,” I said, “Jesse Eisenberg is a good looking dude." I mean, “What movie is that?”

My friend, Brosky( alias) said, “that’s the movie about Facebook.” With a puzzled look on my face, I thought: Who cares about a movie about Facebook? And promptly decided that day not to see it. Well, that feeling lasted about 10 minutes.

Brosky informed me that “The Social Network” would be directed by David Fincher; who also directed “Fight Club,” “The Game,” and “Se7en,” which are three of my all time favorite movies. Well, crap, to add insult to injury, the movie was written by one of my favorite writers: Aaron Sorkin. He also wrote: “A few Good Men,” and “Charlie Wilson’s War,” just to name a few. OK, so I’ll see it, jeez.

So I’m sitting in the theater , the music starts, the credits roll, and I see music by Trent Reznor ( Of Nine Inch Nails fame) as well as “Atticus” and “Book of Eli.” Now, I have to love this movie, you sneaky punks. At that very moment, I knew that I would enjoy this movie. Well I did, but not without the movie getting in the way. I hated all the characters, especially the main character of Mark Zuckerberg. For me I enjoy seeing good fight evil, for someone to overcome adversity, for the characters to grow and learn. This movie is a money-grubbing mess, filled with characters scheming and back0stabbing. Now that’s more or less how it happened.

Mark Zuckerberg, the real one, did an interview after the movie came out. All he really had to say, was that he didn’t invent Facebook, because a girl that broke up with him. Really? that’s the only thing you have a problem with? The guy has billions of dollars, and if he wanted to, could sue the crap out of these guys for defacement of character and anything else he really wanted to. So, is it a romanticized tale? Probably. Is it not “based on true events, and the names changed to protect the innocent?” most likely.

Do I like this movie? Yes, but only because they stacked the deck. If all these aforementioned guys were not involved, would I have enjoyed this movie? We will never know. It’s kind of like “Star Wars,” but without George Lucas, and plus Jar Jar Binks. Would the movie have been good? Sorry, George, but the best two movies are ones you DIDN’T direct. Watch it.






1 comment:

  1. Dude, this is going to be fun. I think you are wrong on this one too. My suggestion for a future blog post is to explore the fact that Sorkin wrote it, and Fincher directed it, and what about them and their approach to movie making got you to watch it, and made you like it in spite of your distaste for the characters. Note, the movie is not called "Facebook" for a reason.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts