Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day 4 "Delirious"

When you are ten year’s old, your taste in movies is terrible. And with that statement, I just made all the ten-year-olds’ hit lists. Do ten-year-old’s have hit lists? Never mind that. I watched a movie from my childhood, one that I enjoyed back then. It was straight up entertaining and really funny... but now, something is... different. So I look at all these kids’ movies nowadays, and think to myself: Some child loves this movie now and is going to watch it again in 20 years. They are going to think to him or herself 20 years later “What was I thinking? This movie is awful!”

You certainly have guessed it by now: I am talking about “Delirious.” Yes, THE Delirious. A lesser known John Candy movie for the uninitiated. For me, this movie ranked up there with “Uncle Buck” and “Who’s Harry Crumb?,” which are a few of my favorite movies from my childhood. Now I am questioning everything. Are they good movies!? What is the half-life of strontium? Why didn’t the tooth fairy come when I got my wisdom teeth YANKED? I digress. I say this, because “ Delirious” is, in one word, bad. I used to think that John Candy hitting his head and going into this “Soap Opera Dream World”, where he is a writer, and were he can control the world through his typewriter, was awesome. It isn’t, as it turns out, because of the ultra cheesy moments, and therefore quintessentially “80s.”

I also thought to myself: Well, Self, they make really bad movies in the 80s, so maybe it’s just that. I don’t think things have changed that much though. They still make really awful, cheesy movies today too. Certainly, there are a bunch of ten-year-old’s now that love the new “Clash of the Titans.” Well, Little Virginia, in 2031, when you put this on your Virtua-Netlfix Nuclear 3D and you watch it, I am sorry, but your childhood was a lie. :) Caveat videtor! Viewer be warned!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts