Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 3 " The Girl that Played with Fire"

“Have you read the book? Its great!”

“I love that book, I can’t wait to see the movie!”

I am sure you all have heard this before. There are a crap-ton of movies that started out as books; from the Watchmen, to Hunt for Red October, to just about any Grimms Brother story turned Disney movie. Now, I just have one question . Are any of them good? Well, I ‘m sure you are thinking to yourself, “Lord of the Rings is a good one!” Yet, I know people who read “Lord of the Rings,” who say “Nay”. Directors always have to leave stuff from the book out, and most of the time that takes away from the movie. The movie, lacking that extra detail. Now, they can’t make six hour movies either, so what do we do?

Recently, I watched “The Girl that Played with Fire.” If you don’t know what that is, it’s a Swedish film based on a book by Stieg Larsson. This is the second movie/book in a trilogy. The first one was “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,” which Details showed me months ago. Details has a thing for crazy, random movies. I enjoyed the first movie very much. So I thought to myself, “might as well see what crazy adventures the characters get into this time.” I have to say, I thought this film was good, but nowhere near a good as the first. Maybe the story was not as interesting, or the film was not paced as well, but it just lacked the intrigue of the first. Now I can hear someone chime in, “they left so much out, you should read the book!” Well, then why the heck do they even make the movies, if they are leaving the good stuff out!
My next thought is, do I really want to read the books? I have already seen the movies, I can’t un-see them. I feel like these movie are good, but it’s what I call “a one-time watcher.” The subject matter is very graphic, and was hard to even watch that. I can, however, recognize the quality of the story and production. Just thinking about reading the books, where things are literally spelled out and gone into more detail, makes me want to hurt myself. I will be watching the third movie, “The Girl that Kicked the Hornet’s Nest,” as it was added to Netflix recently. Gotta know how it all ends! The subject matter is graphic, and if that doesn’t bother you, watch it!

2 comments:

  1. the 2nd movie was good but did not flow well from the first because the subject matter took a different turn. the 2nd sets up the 3rd. the 3 books tie in together well, but for visual quality movies are forced to make decisions that cut down material content and develop character qualities (especially when a lot of inner monologue for first person action needs to be illustrated), making them seem choppy or unjustified in what the characters do or say. the 3rd was my favorite but the book was a bit hard to follow since soooo many new characters are introduced and there are about 3 parallel story lines. the ending of the 2nd movie was just how i imagined it but the chaotic scene was cut a bit too short. the climax in the 3rd is spot on perfect. glad you like them Pat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment Details! I will be watching the 3rd movie soon. I just felt is should spread them out a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts