Monday, January 24, 2011

Day 2 " unknown"

So apparently my crazy voice inflections and mad hands did not translate to my writing; I will be working on that the best I can. Talking about movies seems to be much easier for me, given that I am so animated. But fear not, I am not giving up! See, exclamation points help (smiley face).

I watched a few movies yesterday with the JMC (alias). He and I both enjoyed this one when it first came out, but unlike JMC, I have seen this film more than once. When we started the movie, I said “ Oh yeah, Jude Law narrates this movie”. I thoroughly enjoy movies that are narrated, as they seem to add an extra element of depth to the film. Narrated movies make me feel like I know something that the characters do not, as in: “ I’m sorry this is not the movie you will be watching. The movie you are about to see is extremely unpleasant. If you wish to see a film about a happy little elf, I’m sure there is still plenty of seating in theater number two.” Have you guessed what movie I am talking about yet?

“Lemony Snicket’s a Series of Unfortunate Events” is kind of a strange movie. I say strange, because I don’t know who this movie was made for. When I watch a movie, I try to decide who is the target audience. If it’s “Toy Story 3,” I can guess it’s made for kids, or people who have enjoyed the other “Toy Story” films. Pixar is really good about making stories for everyone: adults and children alike. This film, on the other hand, seems too simple for adults, i.e. based on children's books. And yet, too dark for kids: there is death, and children put in danger. “You need to Lighten up!” you say. Do I?

It seems like our kids are having to grow up way too fast these days. To make movies about death, murder, and greedy villains. Do they enjoy these movies? Or are the adults enjoying them, and the kids are just going with it? Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed this movie. But to be honest with you, I might have actually enjoyed the movie about the littlest elf more. Watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts