Wednesday, January 18, 2012

"Attack the Block"


So all the Blockbusters are dieing. They are being killed off by a giant red food dispenser filled with DVDs. Who thought this would change how people rented movies? turns out people are getting lazier and lazier. “ I don’t have to talk to anyone and a machine spits movies at me, awesome”. No overhead, you don’t need to pay any employees to ignore your costumers, so you can charge $1.20 per movie. Brilliant, So I used one of these devices to rent “Attack the Block”

So I knew very little about this movie, before I rented. I knew it had Nick frost in it, ( Shawn of the Dead, Hot Fuzz) and I knew it had something to do with aliens. Is that enough for you to get a movie a chance? Well it was for me. I was surprised that Red Box had this movie, seeing that Red Box only carries the new popular releases.
So this movie takes place in London, in the slums, centering around a group of teenage criminals. I say Criminals, because the opening scene starts out with them robbing a woman at Knife point. I the middle of all this commotion, an alien falls from the sky and the crazy-ness begins. No this I am sure sounds silly. The way the aliens are portrayed is in no way silly or not believable. From here, you start to get to know the Characters, through pithy dialogue, that can be sometimes hard to follow, being English slang. This is really where this movie shines. It is very few, “Monster movies” that make you care about the characters, and are disappointed, when they die or get hurt. Spoiler alert!, sorry, duh it’s a monster movie some one is going to die.
Attack the block is in many ways like Cloverfield, or Super 8, focusing more on the people responding to the crazy, IE the monster, the aliens, then “ hey look what we can do with Special effects!” The characters actually change, and have an arc. Which movies like this are not known for. Probably one of the more fun movies I have seen in years. I enjoyed this movie very much, and kept it an extra day to show my Roommate. thank you Red Box you get $2.40 out of me
The Rating System
Production ( Directing, Editing, Music) 4-5
Story ( Plot)3-5
Characters ( Likability, Acting)4-5
Writing ( Dialogue, Cleverness)4-5
Emotions ( Was it; Fun, Scary, Sad, Do I care)5-5
Over all score 20-25

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts